Investing in roof repair or replacement is a crucial home improvement project. However, selecting the right type of roof requires careful consideration. To make an informed decision, it’s advisable to consult a local roofing contractor. They can provide valuable insights on available roof types, their costs, usability, and benefits. This expert guidance will help you maximize the return on your investment and ensure the long-term protection and value of your home.
Major Types of Roof Materials
If you are going to replace or repair your roof soon, then you must be familiar with available roof types and their pros and cons. In this way, you will be able to make a more informed decision.
The most popular and widely in-demand type of roof is shingles. They come in different materials like fiberglass, asphalt, or composite. Manufacturers offer a variety of colors like gray, brown, red, green, etc. The colors, however, fade with passing time but the material is no doubt very durable.
- Shingle roofs are less expensive.
- shingles are very easy to maintain.
- Shingle roofs work well in different climates.
- They are made of recyclable material thus reducing the negative impact on the environment.
- The color may fade away due to sun exposure or moisture.
- Not very durable and can be damaged in strong winds.
- Shingle Roofs have a short lifespan.
The second type of roofing material is metal. Many people think that metal roofing came in the near past however, its use can be traced back to the 1800’s. Metal roofs are considered to be a cost-effective and durable choice.
- Metal roofs are easy to maintain.
- Metal roofs are very strong and long-lasting.
- They come in a variety of colors.
- They are light in weight making transportation easier.
- Metal is recyclable thus proving to be an environmentally friendly option.
- Metal roofs can be very noisy during rainfall and hailstorms, etc.
- Improper installation may result in warping edges.
- Properly trained labor is required for the installation process. It may increase the overall cost.
Wood is the roofing material that not everyone can afford. Moreover, it looks well on certain types of specially constructed houses like cottages, etc. Wood roofs are very long-lasting but they cannot work well in fire-prone areas. Commonly used wood roofing materials are cedar, pinewood, redwood, etc.
- It is a natural material thus less work is required to transform it. It can be used as it is as well.
- Wood roofs have a lifespan of nearly 50 years.
- Wood roofs add a very aesthetic look to the house thus improving the overall appearance.
- More prone to water damage like mold and mildew.
- Wood roofs require very high maintenance.
- Treatments required like fire retardants and chemical preservatives add up to the overall cost.
- It is expensive compared to other roofing options.
One of the most famous and widely used materials for roofs is clay tiles. The history of clay tiles traces back to nearly 5000 years ago. Some of the popular styles in clay tiles are French, Scania, and Spanish, etc. this type of roof is best used in places with extremely hot weather.
- Clay tiles are very easy to maintain.
- Clay tiles are available in attractive colors like brown, gray, terracotta, and red.
- They enhance the overall appearance of your house.
- Tiles are helpful in maintaining the temperature inside the building.
- Clay tiles are heavy in weight and thus require a special structural base to bear the weight,
- The installation process is difficult and requires specialized labor for installation.
Slate is also one of the most popular and widely used roofing materials around the globe. It is a longer-lasting material. It is also resistant to fire and moisture. Slate tiles are made to work in extreme climates.
- Slate tiles have a long lifespan.
- slate tiles are easy to maintain.
- Tiles are made up of very strong and long-lasting material.
- slate tiles are available in colors like red, green, and blue.
- Slate tiles are a very expensive roofing option.
- They need structural support to bear the weight.
Solar is the most advanced type of roofing done nowadays. It needs the service of an expert roofer in Norwich to install the solar roofing.
- Solar is a renewable source of energy.
- Solar roofs help to use the solar power from the sun to be used for your daily energy requirements.
- It helps to reduce the monthly utility bills.
- Solar roofs are very expensive.
- Specialized roofers are required for the installation of such roofs.
- Special wiring has to be done indoors which adds up to the cost.
Rubber roofs are a new concept in the roofing industry. They are made up of a special type of thin rubber membrane. It is also known as a membrane roof.
- They are waterproof and do not allow the moisture to go inside the walls.
- Rubber roofs are very affordable.
- They are resistant to fire.
- They have a long lifespan.
- Rubber roofs look very simple thus reducing the overall appearance of the building.
- Rubber roofs absorb a lot of heat, making the indoors very hot.
- Regular roof cleaning is necessary for rubber roofs.
Roof is the most important aspect of your house and determines the safety and strength of the building as well. Investing time and efforts in choosing the best roof material according to your needs and budget is of considerable importance. To make an informed decision, it is adviseable to consult a roofer to discuss your needs and cost effective roofing solutions.