Relaxing hair is a means through which a hard scalp, commonly called stubborn hair, is softened. It can also be a means of straightening the hair. Though this hair becomes soft, with time it might begin to fall off. If your hair is weak, brittle or bleached, you can consider an alternative to relaxer. You can consider using an oil treatment or a keratin treatment. Although each has its merits and demerits, it keeps your hair healthy.
One of the problems people face is looking for the best products or alternatives to relaxers. This is the result of numerous products and treatments on the market. In this article, you will get a list of the best alternatives to relaxers.
15 Alternatives to Relaxer
Using any of these alternatives to relaxers will give you the freedom to style your hair anyway.
Here is a list of them below:
1. Keratin Therapy
If your hair is frizzy or curly, try this. This can be done only in a hair salon. It lasts up to six months, depending on how frequently you wash your hair. It introduces keratin protein into your hair and locks your cuticle, making it shine and strong. The keratin treatment you can use is called Brazilian keratin treatment.
- It can last for 6 months or more.
- It saves hair from damage due to repetitive treatment.
- It saves time.
- It can be applied to all hair textures.
- Some formula contain formaldehyde.
- It can cost 600-800 dollars.
- It is not good for pregnant women.
- It can cause allergic reactions.
2. Use of Silicone Creams
This is an effective alternative to relaxer. It does not require heat or any special tools. It should be applied only when the hair is nearly dry. The silicone acts like a molding agent. To use it, apply the cream between your hands. Add it to your hair and pay attention to the end. Use a hair dryer or flat iron to leave your hair smooth, soft and silky. If your hair texture is hard, you might consider this alternative.
- It is one of the less expensive options.
- It is safe to use at home.
- It makes you style your hair easily.
- It is a temporary solution.
- It is difficult to wash out.
- It might clog your follicles.
3. Use of Extensions, Weaves and Wigs
This is the best alternative to relaxer if you are looking for one. They are solutions that last for a long time. They protect your natural hair and give you a good look. You can use an extension that uses acrylic nylon or human hair.
- It is a customized hairstyle.
- It protects your natural hair.
- It doesn’t require any harsh chemicals.
- It requires a professional for its installation.
- It is maintained regularly to keep it in order.
4. Oil Treatment
This is another great alternative to relaxer that I love. It prevents environmental damage and locks your hair in moisture. You can make use of avocado, coconut and olive oils for the treatment. It also prevents sun damage and breakage and makes it soft. Coconut and olive oil treatments prevent dandruff and other issues with your scalp.
- It is easily accessible.
- It can be done at home.
- It is less expensive than other alternatives.
- You might need to use more than one type of oil for added benefits.
Styling Your Hair Using Heat
Heat styling is an alternative to relaxer that can suppress frizzy hair. You can use a flat iron or heat rod. It can take one hour or more to straighten your hair, depending on the length or texture of your hair. To do this, divide your hair into smaller partitions and apply a hair cream, hair protective serum or sprayer. Put the flat iron or straightener on low heat. Use it to straighten your hair while regulating its temperature to avoid burning it.
- It can be done at home.
- It is less expensive.
- This can be done irrespective of your hair texture.
- It can damage your hair.
- It takes time to straighten.
6. Blow Drying
This is another alternative to a relaxer that smooths your hair. This is usually done using hair dryers in a hair salon to avoid harming your hair or yourself. While buying a hair dryer, make sure you consider your hair styling options. Remember to keep your hair 70% dry and a comb in your hand as you straighten it.
- Blow dryers are flexible to use.
- Blow dryers are portable.
- It maintains your hairstyle throughout the day.
- It can weaken your hair thread.
- It can damage your hair texture.
- Using it repeatedly can minimize your hair’s brightness.
7. Cutting Your Hair
This might sound a bit awkward but it is another alternative to relaxer. This doesn’t mean cutting it down entirely. You can go for a diva or tapered cut. You can trim it at the tips or ends. If you want to keep your hair healthy or run away from any kind of trouble, you can consider this. You can use hair clippers or trimmers.
- It brings out your facial features.
- It is easy to maintain.
- It gives you a positive appearance.
- Your hairstyling choices are quite limited.
8. Japanese Straightening Hair Therapy
It is one of the alternatives to relaxer. It makes your hair straight. It involves using heat and chemicals to break the bonds in your hair. The bonds can be rebounded to create straight hair. It takes several hours, depending on your hair texture and length. To use this method, wash your hair and condition it. Apply the chemical solution containing a hair-strengthening agent. The hair is straightened using a flat iron. A neutralizing solution is applied to halt the chemical solution and reform the hair bond. It is rinsed thoroughly and deep conditioned.
- It requires low maintenance.
- It can last for several months.
- It works better in thick hair textures.
- The chemicals and heat can damage hair texture.
- It can be costly.
- It takes time.
- Treatment doesn’t affect new hair growth.
9. Use of Protective Styles
It is another option to a relaxer that stretches and manages curly hair. These protective styles are braids, twists and cornrows. They prevent the daily manipulation of hair.
- It requires low manipulation.
- It lasts for several weeks.
- It makes your hair grow.
- It takes time.
- It may be heavy to carry.
- It can lead to hair breakage if not done properly.
10. Use of Coconut Milk and Lemon Juice
This is a natural way to straighten your hair. It is another alternative to a relaxer that involves ¼ cup of coconut milk and 1 tbsp. of lemon juice. This method involves mixing and refrigerating them overnight. Apply the mixture from the scalp to the top in the morning. Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it off with cool water and mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- It adds vitamin C to your scalp.
- It straightens and smoothes your hair.
- It yields only temporary results.
11. Use of Milk Spray
It is another alternative to relaxer and a natural technique. Here, you make use of ¼ cup of milk and a spray bottle. Add the milk to the spray bottle. Spray it on your hair until it is saturated with milk. Allow for 30 minutes and rinse with cool water.
- It adds protein to your hair and fortifies the hair shaft.
- It controls frizz.
- It gives only temporary results.
12. Use of Hair Mask and Deep Conditioning
This involves the use of products rich in moisture and nutrients like honey, egg and yogurt. It is another alternative to relaxer.
- It restores moisture and nutrients.
- It improves hair texture.
- Its result is temporary.
- It takes time.
- Regular usage can lead to product buildup.
13. Use of Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair
It involves the use of 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water. Set aside a diluted apple cider vinegar in a jug. Wash your hair with a sulfate-free mild shampoo and conditioner. Apply it to your washed hair. Do not rinse.
- It removes dirt or excess oil from your cuticle.
- Gives your hair a healthy sheen.
- It balances the hair’s pH.
- Its smell is unpleasant.
14. Use of Aloe Vera
It is another alternative to relaxer. It involves the use of aloe vera gel. This can be considered to be a homemade or local way of straightening your hair. It requires ¼ cup of aloe vera and ¼ cup of coconut or olive oil. Warm the oil and mix it with the aloe vera. Apply it to your hair and leave it for 40 minutes. Wash off with a sulfate-free mild shampoo and cool water.
- It is a more natural way of straightening the hair.
- It relieves itching and scalp irritation.
- It provides the hair with enzymes that enhance hair growth.
- Its result is not permanent.
- It cannot provide dramatic straightening.
- some individuals may be allergic to it.
15. Use of rice water
It is another natural alternative to relaxer. It promotes hair growth and minimizes frizz. It is also a way of straightening the hair. It is used by rinsing the hair with water from washed, soaked or fermented rice. Allow it for 20-30 minutes. Then, rinse your hair well with clean water.
- It relaxes curls.
- It contains amino acids and vitamins that strengthen the hair.
- It gives temporary results.
- It requires additional methods to produce long-lasting effects.
If you are looking for an alternative to a relaxer, you can choose from the list above. These alternatives to relaxers keep your hair healthy. It also keeps it soft and strong.